Sunday, October 31, 2010

Is that the Best You Can Do?


This past week I was checking out at The Home Depot, purchasing about $330 in flooring for one of our rentals. As I was about to slide my card the cashier asked me "Is this going to be on your Home Depot Card today?" and I replied, "Why yes it is! Are you going to give me 10% off because of it?"

"Well," she said,"I haven't done that yet today and I am feeling nice so OK!" And Just like that I saved about $35 Dollars!

One of the tricks that I have learned is to "Always ask." When I first learned this trick in my college days I actually went extreme with this idea and for practice sake I would ask for a discount everywhere I went. I quickly learned that at some stores you can get a discount nearly every time just by asking while others would put up a fight over giving a 10% discount on an empty box of Pop Tarts!

This wasn't the first time I have had this exact conversation with a Home Depot cashier except that I typically don't get the discount. So why do I continue to ask? Because every now and then it works, and its so easy. I don't make a scene, and I don't make it confrontational, I just ask. In major retail stores I find that if you get a "No" on the first go around, and if you don't have some reason (Damaged item, Bulk discount) for getting the discount you generally won't get one by trying fight it, but by just asking the cashier you might get lucky and find that it's within her power and she's feeling nice. Just this month alone I have received roughly $55 in discounts just at Home Depot just from asking the cashier.

This concept isn't mine, I got it from the book "The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me" by Richard Paul Evans. In his book he tells the story of a salesmen who was trying to get a big order from one of their best clients. After presenting the offer to the client the man looked concerned and asked "Is that the best you can do?" The salesmen called his boss and got the order reduced, came back to the room and presented the new, better offer. The man again asked "Is that the best you can do?" The salesmen again left the room, called the boss and got an additional discount and returned to present the lower offer and additionally subtracted some of his commission from the offer price. Again the man asked "Is that the best you can do?" to which the salesman replied, "I'm afraid that is the best we can do." The client responded by saying "Fine, I'll sign the offer. I just wanted to make sure that it really was your best offer."

I could go on and on about how effective this one tool is but if you want to understand it more read the book starting on page 67. It's a very very good book but also a short an easy read. The point is that by always asking for a discount you will save money and likely be surprised by how often you are paying more than you need to for things you routinely buy.

Keep in mind that in trying out this tool you may have some unpleasant experiences. I have had cashiers look at me like I'm crazy and even other customers make snide comments. But I know they only comment because they are too scared to try it themselves. Just know that while it doesn't always work you can learn when it is more likely to work and use it more in those moments than in others. Try it this week and post a comment once you have saved some money!

No comments:

Post a Comment